*yields 8" cake
90g plain flour
12g corn flour
1/4 tsp baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
1/4 tsp salt
6 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract
70g Corn oil
100g milk (may use coconut milk as well)
6 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
100g caster sugar
Few drops of pink food colouring
1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
- Lined the base of baking tin and preheat oven to 150C. Prepare for waterbath baking.
- Sieve both flours, baking soda and salt together. Set aside.
- Mix egg yolks, vanilla extract, oil and milk until well combined.
- Fold in flour until combined.
- Beat egg whites until foamy, then add in cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks, then add in sugar gradually and beat to firm peaks.
- Fold in meringue to the yolk batter in 3 batches.
- Divide batter into 3 portions. Fold in red coloring into one of them and cocoa powder into another one, leave the last portion plain.
- Transfer each batter spontaneously to baking tin, then swirl lightly with chopstick. Tap the tin on the counter few times to release trapped air. Send to bake via waterbath at 150C for 80mins.
- When baked, leave the tin upright to cool on rack. The sides will pull away after few mins, then invert the tin to remove the baking sheet and mould, then invert back up right to cool completely. If the bottom is wet, put into the oven to dry with the residual heat for 10-15 minutes.
Bottom of the cake
Did some frosting :)
Cross section of the cake :)