It smells great, lavenderly nice. And the floral smell actually lingered around in the mouth for a while! Texture was really really soft & fluffy :)
The basic sponge cake recipe was adapted and modified from Jeannie's blog.
150g cake flour - sieved
150g caster sugar
15g cake emulsifier
1tsp baking powder
2tsp lavender buds (you can go with 1 tsp if you like a lighter flavour!)
2-3 drops of violet colourings
- Grease and lined a 8" square baking tin
- Preheat oven at 150C.
- Melt butter and set aside to cool.
- Beat flour, sugar, eggs, emulsifier & baking powder together, at high speed, probably for 5min, until the batter becomes very smooth & creamy.
- Pour in the melted butter, fold it into the batter, from bottom to top, so as to ensure the butter is well incorporated into the mixture.
- Coloured the batter, then mix in the lavender buds.
- Once the batter is ready, pour it into the baking tin. Shake the tin gently to level the mixture, you may also use the spatula to level the cake top if it is uneven.
- Send to bake for 60min. If a skewer come out clean, it means the cake is ready.
- When done, remove the cake from the oven to cool on the cooling rack for few minutes. Then you may invert the cake to remove the baking tin & baking sheet. Once this is done, you can invert back the cake to cool completely.