Search This Blog

Friday 5 June 2015

Rocky Earthquake Sponge Cake (Coffee & Cinnamon)

So, I had another accidental creation last night :)  

I meant to bake a Coffee Cinnamon Sponge Cake, all was going well until I realised I had prepared a smaller baking tin!  And, I had already filled in too much batter into the baking tin!  I was only about 2.5cm from the brim!  I was lazy to prepare another tin so I just wanna try my luck and see how it turns out.  As expected, the top cracked, but probably because I had drizzle the cake top with chopped almonds, the cake top looks just like a land that just quake and filled with little rocks!  Hence, this funny name!

Anyway, I could smelled the fragrance of the cake when it was baking, really nice!  And the texture was soft & fluffy, risen really well!  Taste-wise, I had 3 slices this morning for breakfast and the 2 boxes of these that I brought into office this morning was gone within 20mins :)

This recipe was adapted and modified from Jeannie's blog.








Ingredients
150g cake flour - sieved 
75g caster sugar
75g brown sugar
5 eggs
15g cake emulsifier
1tsp baking powder
2tsp cinnamon powder (you can go with 1 tsp if you like a lighter flavour!)
1tsp coffee oil
80g butter
Chopped almonds to drizzle on top of the cake

Method
  1. Grease and lined a 7" square baking tin (use a 8" tin if you want a smooth surface, instead of a 'earthquake' top)
  2. Preheat oven at 150C.
  3. Melt butter and set aside to cool.
  4. Beat flour, sugar, eggs, emulsifier, baking powder, cinnamon powder & coffee oil together, at high speed, probably for 5min, until the batter becomes very smooth & creamy.
  5. Pour in the melted butter, fold it into the batter, from bottom to top, so as to ensure the butter is well incorporated into the mixture.
  6. Once the batter is ready, pour it into the baking tin.  Shake the tin gently to level the mixture, you may also use the spatula to level the cake top if it is uneven.
  7. Sprinkle chopped almond over the cake top.
  8. Send to bake for 60min.  If a skewer come out clean, it means the cake is ready.
  9. When done, remove the cake from the oven to cool on the cooling rack for few minutes.  Then you may invert the cake to remove the baking tin & baking sheet (be sure to have a tray/ cloth beneath to collect the chopped almonds that might drop off).  Once this is done, you can invert back the cake to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.