The artistic bug was biting me :PModified from this recipe.
5 egg yolks
1 whole egg
1/4 tsp salt
1/2tsp pandan extract
40g canola oil
90g milk (can also use coconut milk for a richer flavor)
90g plain flour
100g castor sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Preheat oven at 150C
- Lined the bottom of a 8" round tin, and prepare the necessaries for waterbath baking method.
- Mix pandan extract with milk. Set aside.
- Beat egg yolks, whole egg, salt, oil & milk+pandan mixture with hand whisk, until fluffy.
- Sieve in flour then mix it up until well combined.
- Beat egg white, cream of tartar & castor sugar until firm peaks form.
- Using a hand whisk, mix 1/3 of (B) mixture at a time, into mixture (A).
- Switch to a spatula to lift batter from bottom to fold. Be sure the mixture is well combined & smooth.
- Transfer batter to baking tin, leaving a small portion for drawing, then tap the tin on the table top few times to release air bubbles.
- For the remaining batter, fold in around 1 tsp cocoa powder and mix until well combined. Transfer to piping bag and pipe desired picture on the cake batter. Note: Piping batter should be of oozing consistency.
- Put the baking pan into another larger pan, then fill the latter up with hot water (2/3 of the tin with batter).
- Send to bake at 150C for 70-75min.
- Once baked, remove from oven and invert the cake immediately on a cooling rack to cool. If you want a soft surface, invert on a non stick frying pan.
Happy with the height!
Very soft and fluffy texture! Smells really good too!
Drawing instructions for the Eiffel Tower. Referenced from this website.