Search This Blog

Thursday 25 June 2015

Mango Chiffon Cake

The last time I baked a chiffon cake was 18 years ago, during the Home Economic lesson in school!  I wasn't really baking too much after I left school, until recently..  And I finally got round to get myself a tube tin last weekend, so I made one last night!  Really glad that it turned out well: no cracks, well-risen, tall, soft & fluffy!

Anyway, I should have use real mangoes or mango purees, but I could not get any… so make do with fruit juice!  But I will not really seek this option again… the cake indeed smelled heavenly with the mango fragrance, but I can hardly taste any mango at all!! Nevertheless, the texture and taste is still great!

Recipe adapted & modified from Jeannie’s blog.











Ingredients:
(A)
170g cake flour
2.5tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
6 egg yolks (large eggs)
80g castor sugar
100ml vegetable oil
150ml mango juice

(B)
6 egg whites 
1/4tsp cream of tartar
80g castor sugar

Method:
*Preheat oven at 150C

1.    Beat yolk with castor sugar with hand whisk until the batter turn creamy.

2.    Add oil and continue to beat until it is mixed in, then add mango juice. Stir well.

3.    Sieve in flour, baking powder & salt into the (A) batter and mix until well combined (I used a hand whisk to do this).  Set aside.

4.    Beat egg whites until foamy, then add cream of tartar. Gradually add in castor sugar (B) and continue beating until firm peaks form.

5.    Add the meringue into (A) batter, by 3 or 4 portions.  Mixed each portion with hand whisk, and fold the last portion with a spatula.  Fold until you do not see any meringue in the batter.

6.    Bang the batter few times on the table top to remove air bubbles, then transfer it to the tube pan.  (After transferring the batter, I banged the batter again.  But this step is really optional.)

7.    Bake 1 hour.  Once it is done, remove the cake from the oven immediately and invert to cool completely before un-moulding.


2 comments:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.