*8" round tin
6 eggs yolks
70g canola oil
100g plain flour - sieved
Pinch of salt
70g gula melaka - chop finely (see illustration here)
50g hot water
50g milk (can change to coconut milk for a richer flavour)
6 eggs whites
- Lined the bottom of the baking tin, but do not grease the sides.
- Preheat oven at 190C and prepare necessaries for waterbath.
- Pour 50g hot water over chopped gula melaka and stir to dissolve. Then pour the mixture over the sieve to ensure a smooth mixture. Set aside.
- Heat oil over stove, then pour over flour. Quickly stir to a smooth paste.
- Add in milk to the flour mixture, mix until well combine.
- Add in gula melaka mixture, mix until well combine.
- Add in egg yolks, mix until well combine. Side aside.
- Beat egg whites until foamy, then start to add in sugar by 3 batches, and continue beating until attain firm peak.
- Fold in the meringue to the yolk mixture in 3 batches, be sure to fold until you do not see any streaks of the meringue.
- Transfer batter to baking tin, tap the tin few times on the table top to release trapped air.
- Send to bake via waterbath method, at 190C for 15min, then 140C for 60-70min.
- Once baked, remove from oven and cool the cake upright until you see the sides pull away, then you can invert to remove tin and baking paper, and then revert back upright to cool completely. If you want a soft surface, invert on a non stick frying pan/tray.
Happy with the height :)
Happy with the smooth top as well!
And I love the texture, so so so soft!
All packed to share with my colleagues, because it's TGIF! :)