Adapted & modified from this recipe.
5 egg yolks
1 whole egg
1/4 tsp salt
40g canola oil
90g plain flour
100g castor sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1.5tbsp milo powder -sieved
- Preheat oven at 150C
- Lined the bottom of a 7"square tin or 8" round tin & prepare the tin for waterbath.
- Beat egg yolks, whole egg, salt, oil & milk with hand whisk, until fluffy.
- Sieve in flour then mix it up until well combined.
- Beat egg white, cream of tartar & castor sugar until firm peaks form.
- Using a hand whisk, mix 1/3 of (B) mixture at a time, into mixture (A). Repeat steps for another 1/3 of the meringue.
- For the last portion, switch to a spatula to lift batter from bottom to fold. Be sure the mixture is well combined & smooth.
- Spilt batter into 2 portions.
- Sieve and fold in milo powder into 1 portion.
- Spoon 4 tbsp of the original batter to the tin, pouring from the center. Then add another 2tbsp of milo batter, also from the center. Repeat steps under batter is used up.
- Then tap the tin on the table top few times to release air bubbles.
- Put the baking pan into another larger pan, then fill the latter up with hot water (2/3 of the tin with batter).
- Send to bake at 150C for 70min.
- Once baked, remove from oven and invert the cake immediately on a cooling rack to cool. If you want a soft surface, invert on a non stick frying pan.
My batter before sending to the oven