The original recipe was by Kat Kat, a member of Facebook Baking Corner - Condensed Milk Cotton Cake. But I was yearning for some nonya flavour, so I modified the recipe :)
I absoutely love the aroma and texture of this cake! Another sure-keeper recipe!!
3 egg yolks
1 whole egg
50g cake flour - sieved
50g gula melaka - chopped into smaller pieces
20ml coconut milk
35ml oil (i used canola)
Pinch of salt
3 egg whites
1/4 tsp lemon juice
1. Greased and lined a 6" round tin.
2. Preheat oven at 130C with a tray of hot water.
3. Melt gula melaka and coconut milk over stove. Set aside.
4. Heat oil over stove. Drizzle over the sieved flour and quickly mix to a smooth paste.
5. In another mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks and 1 egg untill well combined. Then add in the gula melaka mixture, continue beating untill well-mixed, and add in the flour mixture and salt. Mix until everything is well combined. Set aside.
6. Beat egg whites until foamy, add in lemon juice. Add in sugar in 3 batches and continue beating until attain soft peak.
7. Fold in 1/3 of the meringue into the yolk batter. Once folded until you see no streaks of the meringue, pour the entire mixture into the meringue, and continue folding until well-mixed.
8. Pour batter into baking tin and tap on tabletop few times to release air bubbles.
9. Send to bake via waterbath (for me, i still keep the tray of water that i used during preheat. And prepare another tray for waterbath) at 130c for 75min, then 140C for 15min. If the top is getting a bit too brown by the end of the 130C baking, use a aluminium foil to cover the cake top.
10. Once the cake is done, remove from oven and invert to cool immediately for 5 min. Then you may unmould and remove the baking paper and leave to cool upright.
*Cake best served chilled!