Search This Blog

Friday 21 August 2015

Snow Skin Mini Mooncakes

This year I decided to make my own mooncakes!  Before the actual period, I started my practising first on this snow skin mooncake recipe that a friend gave me.  It sure is hard work, because you need to do a lots of 'hands-on' work!  I distributed out them to my colleagues and all gave me a thumbs-up for it!  All worth the effort!

This round, I made them in chocolate and matcha flavour :)


Ingredients
*makes about 28 mini moon cakes
For the snow skin:
150g gaofen
150g icing sugar
50g shortening
160g gold water

Matcha flavour:
1 tsp matcha powder
2 drops green coloring

Chocolate flavour
1 tsp cocoa powder
2 drops chocolate coloring

For the filing:
420g lotus paste (I used the no-sugar type from Phoon Huat)
65g of melon seeds

Method

  1. In a mixing bowl, place lotus paste & melon seeds together and knead until both ingredients is well combined.
  2. Divide the lotus paste into portions of 30g each, then roll each portion into balls.  cover with cling wrap and set aside.
  3. Sieve gaofen, icing sugar together.  
  4. Rub in shortening until they resemble bread crumbs, then add in cold water and knead to a dough.
  5. Divide dough into 2 equal portions.
  6. Knead in matcha powder & green coloring by hand until the colour are spread out evenly. 
  7. Repeat step#6 for chocolate flavour.
  8. Divide the dough into portions of 25g each, then roll each portion into balls.
  9. Take a ball of dough, and flatten it until you get a thin circle.  Place a ball of filing in the center and wrap and seal it up.  Roll again to smooth the surface.  Repeat steps for the balance.
  10. Sprinkle some gaofen into the mould, pour out the access flour.  Press down the dough to the mould for imprint.  Repeat steps for the balance.
  11. Put the mooncakes in a container and store them in the fridge.
Rub in shortening to the gaofen mixture

Knead lotus paste with the melon seeds until 

Roll up the filings

Knead in the colourings and flavourings

This are the mini moulds that I used.

Parts of my completed products.  I think they look quite cute :)

Packed up to share with my colleagues :)

-----------------------------------------------------------



My last batch for 2015! :)


2 comments:

  1. Hello!
    May I know where you buy the blue fish mould? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got it from taobao. But most probably lost the link as i got it quite some time ago..

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.